Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Ups and Downs to Training for Belmar 5ml Run

                So a few months ago I decided to run the Belmar 5 mile on July 13th.  Not only did I decide I would run but I set a time for myself to try and beat.  I wanted to run it in 40 minutes or quicker.  Now before I continue going on with the now let me give you a little history.  I have run 5k’s, mud runs, and color runs in the past.  Running in a race like this is nothing new to me and I know what I'm getting myself into.  However the difficult part is a history of injuries.

                Early February of 2012 I seriously sprained my ankle while playing indoor soccer.  Looking back now this was something that I should have gone to a doctor to get checked and to allow it to heal properly.  But stubborn me and thinking I know everything I didn't go to one.  The icing and time I took off from all activities wasn’t enough.  So needless to say I had a reoccurring injury that lasted for so long and really got me down.  So ever running a competitive time last year was never going to happen.

                Because I knew my injury was from being out of shape and working in an office I was determined to not have the same issues a second year in a row.  I started working out again and have been steadily going to the gym.  I feel great and more importantly my ankle feels stronger and better.  So this past Saturday (6/29) I had a paintball tournament, and during our second match I well thankfully didn’t sprain my ankle again but I pulled my groin.  When it happened I first focused on finishing out the tournament but once done I sat down and I thought oh crap there goes my goal for the run.

                After relaxing and icing on Sunday I decided Monday I would try to see how things went.  I ran 2 miles and I am happy to report that it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and after being able to run 5 miles today a little off the pace I was shooting for and feeling fine I think I can say that the goal is close if not completely back.  And I will gladly keep you all posted on how the race goes.

Hope the rest of your week goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment